Textile Weaving Workshop ~ Umbria, Italy
May 14 - 21, 2017 (8 days)
May 2019 Registrations now open
Immerse yourself in the craft of textile design and weaving, within the quaint Umbrian town of Citta di Castello.
Founded in 1908 to conserve the Umbrian hand weaving ‘tessitura a mano’ tradition, Tela Umbra is a weaving studio, a textile museum and a shop. Fabrics produced here are made exclusively by hand from linen (Irish flax) and wool, utilising original late medieval and renaissance designs.
Over five half-day workshops you will weave a project in wool and linen on Tela Umbra’s traditional floor handlooms, guided by weaving teachers Unna and Tiziana, who have been part of the Tela Umbra community of weavers since the early 1990s. It is a rare experience and one of only a few of its kind in Europe.
Before the week is through, we’ll also take a day trip to Perugia, touring two stunning design studios as well as the Umbrian national gallery; enjoy a half-day private tour of an exclusive fabric house in Anghiari; and visit an amazing artisanal print house in Citta di Castello.
Once you’ve checked in at our apartments and settled in, join us for an apertivo and orientation, followed by a casual dinner.
In the morning, we’ll meet the friendly Tela Umbra weavers facilitating the workshop. After an inspiring first session, you’ll have the rest of the afternoon to acquaint yourself with the area, or join other participants for a language and cultural tips session with Flavia over caffe.
After the morning workshop sessions (four hours/day, 9am-1pm), we’ll spend the afternoons on a variety of activities, including private tours of Busatti fabric house in Anghiari and Grifani Donati artisan printers in Citta di Castello. We’ll take a day trip to Perugia and visit the stunning Brozzetti handwoven textile workshop, Studio Morelli Caselli glass & Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria. But relax, we’ve also built in free time for wandering, exploring, or just those coveted siestas.
At the conclusion of the workshop, enjoy the town for a final afternoon before our farewell dinner, and depart the following day home (or onto your next adventure).
Accommodation & other activities
Participants will enjoy well-appointed shared apartments in the small town of Citta di Castello.
Outside of workshop hours, you’ll have the chance to live like a local, enjoy a caffe and cornetti at your local bar, cook in your apartment or work your way through the menu at a local trattoria. We'll help you get your bearings and suggest great local places to eat, shop and wander.
Who will enjoy this tour?
Fibre & craft lovers, beginner and intermediate weavers, textile designers.
- Accommodation – 7 nights in shared apartments (individual apartments available at additional cost)
- Meals – 2 breakfasts, 6 lunches, 2 dinners
- Transportation – Perugia and Anghiari trips by private bus. Transfers to and from Citta di Castello train station.
- Workshop – 20 hours hand weaving on traditional floor looms (5 days, 4 hours per day)
- Teachers – 2 Italian master weavers from Tela Umbra, assisted by an interpreter
- Private guided tours – Brozetti handwoven textiles workshop and atelier Perugia, Morelli Caselli glass studio Perugia, Busatti fabric house and workshop Anghiari, Grifani Donati artisan printhouse Citta di Castello.
- Entry to Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria Perugia
- Flights to/from beginning and final destinations
- Travel insurance
AUD$4250pp / US$3210pp (twin share)
May 2019 Registrations now open