Lithography Workshop ~ Umbria, Italy
Contact us for dates for this 6 day workshop
Founded in 1799, Tipografia Grifani Donati is one of the oldest printing houses still operating in Italy, producing fine prints on vintage 19th and early 20th century machinery. An amazing artisanal print house and incredible museum, Grifani Donati offer short courses in Lithography.
Located in the charming Umbrian town of Citta di Castello, this workshop includes a 3 day stone lithography course and a day trip to Perugia, visiting two stunning artists’ studios and the Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria.
This is a small group workshop limited to 4 participants.
Once you’ve checked in at our apartments, join us for an apertivo, followed by a casual dinner.
Participate in a 3 day Lithography course at Grifani Donati artisan printers, located in the heart of Citta di Castello. Working with master printer Gianni Ottaviani, produce your stone lithography print run on 100% pure cotton paper with a 1906 German Krause press.
Tipografia Grifani Donati is an extraordinary working museum with presses and equipment for typography, chalcography, lithography and bookbinding dating back more than 200 years. Steeped in history the experience of working in this historic print house is a once in a lifetime opportunity for printmakers.
Outside of workshop hours, you’ll have the chance to live like a local, enjoy a caffe and cornetti at your local bar, cook in your apartment or work your way through the menu at a local trattoria. We'll help you get your bearings and suggest great local places to eat, shop and wander.
Traveling by private bus, we’ll take a day trip to Perugia and visit the stunning studio of glass artists Morelli Caselli, the beautiful Brozzetti handwoven textile workshop & Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria. Enjoy Citta di Castello for a final evening before our farewell dinner, and depart the following day.
Accommodation is in shared apartments in the small town of Citta di Castello.
Who will enjoy this tour?
Printmakers, artists and students of printmaking and art.
- Accommodation – 5 nights in shared apartments (individual apartments available at additional cost)
- Meals – 2 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 2 dinners
- Transportation – Perugia day trip by private bus. Transfers to and from Citta di Castello train station.
- Workshop – Approximately 18 hours over 3 days at Tipografia Grifani Donati including all materials to produce a stone lithography print run of 3 prints.
- Instructor – Gianni Ottaviani
- Private guided tours – Brozetti handwoven textiles workshop and atelier, and Morelli Caselli glass artists' studio Perugia.
- Entry to Galleria Nazionale dell'Umbria Perugia.
- Flights to/from beginning and final destinations
- Travel insurance
US$2205pp (twin share)
Maximum group size for this workshop is 4 participants.